Finding the best speaker system for your car is never going to be easy. Every car is different, and we all want good sound, but some things will work better for others. So, how do you find the subwoofer that is perfect for you?
Well, looking at reviews is a good place to start, and this is why we are here. Today, we want to look at a Rockville subwoofer review specifically.
While there are plenty of great reviews of Rockville, there are criticisms too, and you should be aware of both.
However, remember that nothing and no one is perfect, and so you should not focus so hard on the downsides of any particular product.
Since Rockville has a lot of different subwoofers, we will first introduce you to our top 4 favorite Rockville subwoofers, before we look at how customers find the brand, and then we will review our top no.1 favorite subwoofer.
Are you ready to rock?
The Top Rockville Subwoofers
After some careful consideration, we will have a look at the top Rockville car subwoofers. There are plenty of options, but each of these has its own uniqueness that you should take into careful consideration.
The Rockville W65K9D2 6.5” 1000W Peak Car Audio Subwoofer
Our top favorite subwoofer by Rockville is the W65K9D2. It has many highlights.
The Rockville W65K9D2 K9 series is a 6.5” 2-ohm dual subwoofer for your car with absolute peak power handling.
It offers 1000 Watts for its power handling, 500 Watts for its program power handling and 250 Watts for its CEA-rated RMS power handling.
It is made with black non-pressed paper cones and has a gorgeous finish to it.
The cones made by Rockville are super stuff, so they are strong and thicker than most other subs in the market. This makes them able to handle more power.
It has a double-stacked 66 oz super high-quality magnet and a cast aluminum basket that has a sleek black sanded finish that makes the subwoofer super lightweight and efficient at the same time.
It has also got chrome-plated binding post terminals as well.
- Rockville W65K9D2 6. 5" 1400w Car Audio Subwoofer Dual 2-Ohm Sub CEA Compliant
- Rockville W65K9D2 K9 Series 6. 5" Dual 2-Ohm Car Subwoofer. Peak Power Handling: 1000 Watts. Program Power Handling: 500 Watts . CEA Rated RMS Power Handling: 250 Watts . 2" 4-Layer ASV Voice Coils Wound with OFC Wire Made in USA. This voice coil is stable
- Double Stacked 66 Oz High Quality Magnet. Cast Aluminum Basket With Black Sanded Finish Makes This Sub Very Efficient And Lighter Weight. Two Chrome-Plated Binding Post Terminals (These are the best terminals on the market and they accept any gauge wire an
- Black Non-Pressed Paper Cone With Beautiful Finish. Our cones are ultra-stiff. They are thicker and stronger than other subs on the market making our subs able to handle more power. . Thick Foam Surround Provides Incredible Sound Quality With Minimal Disto
- Black Stitching Cone Reinforcement Ensures Long Life. New Ultra-stiff Polypropylene (PP) Dust cap . Impedance: Dual 2-Ohm Voice Coils. Vented Hole on T-yoke Enhances Heat Dissipation. Special Custom Rubber Boot Magnet Covers Make the Woofer Look Nice and P
Rockville Wheel Of Bass 8” Slim Under-Seat Powered Subwoofer
If you want something a little different the Wheel of Bass is an option for you.
It has a very shallow enclosure at only 3.15” tall, so you can fit it anywhere, even under your seat. However, it will also sound epic and barely take up space if you decide to pop it in your trunk too!
It has a low RCA input, but it can also have a high level with an auto turn-on. Its input sensitivity is adjustable as well, and you will find it has thermal protection and a short protection circuit too.
Its enclosure is made from cast aluminum, and has a peak power handling of 500 Watts, so it’s not as great as our previous mention but is still good.
- Rockville WHEEL OF BASS 8" 500w Slim Under-Seat or Trunk Mounted Powered Car Subwoofer.
- Enclosure is very shallow at only 3.15” tall so it can fit anywhere. You can fit it under seat but it also sounds great and takes up little space in your trunk.
- Enclosure is made out of solid cast aluminum. Peak Power Handling: 500 Watts. RMS Power Handling: 125 Watts. Heavy Duty Mounting Feet. PWM MOSFET Power Supply.
- Low Level RCA Input. High Level Inputs with Auto Turn-On Technology. Adjustable Input Sensitivity. Soft Delayed Remote Turn-On. Thermal Protection Circuit, Short Protection Circuit
- Overload Protection Circuit. Green Power/Red Protect LED. Phase Switch: 0° or 180°. Low Pass Filter: 50Hz - 180Hz. Bass Boost: 0 - 12dB @ 45Hz. Built in Subsonic Filter @ 20Hz
Rockville SS8P 400W 8” Slim
Then we have the SS8P. This is not quite as good as the former two, but it is still worth a mention.
It is made from cast aluminum, so it stays cool all the time and its peak handling is only 400 Watts, which is still good, although nothing like our first pick.
It has a low pass filter at 50 Hz to 150 Hz, and a built-in subsonic filter at 20hz. It is built to go under your car seat, with an RMS power handling of 100 watts and heavy-duty mounting feet.
- Rockville SS8P 8" 400w Slim Under-Seat Active Powered Car/Truck Subwoofer Sub.
- Enclosure is made out of cast aluminum which stays cool at all times. Peak Power Handling: 400 Watts.
- RMS Power Handling: 100 Watts. Heavy Duty Mounting Feet. PWM MOSFET Power Supply. Low Level RCA Input. High Level Inputs with Auto Turn-On Technology. Adjustable Input Sensitivity. Soft Delayed Remote Turn-On. Thermal Protection Circuit, Short Protection Circuit. Overload Protection Circuit. Green Power/Red Protect LED. Phase Switch: 0° or 180°.
- Low Pass Filter: 50Hz - 150Hz. Bass Boost: 0 - 12dB @ 45Hz. Built in Subsonic Filter @ 20Hz. THD: < 0.4%. Subwoofer Level Remote Control. Fuse Rating: Single 15A.
- Specifications: Peak Power 400 Watts. RMS Power: 100 Watts. Impedance: 4 Ohm. Dimensions (L x W X H): 11.4" x 8.3" x 2.8" Inches. Frequency Response: 20Hz - 150Hz. Signal to Noise Ratio: >90dB. Sensitivity: 90dB @ 1w / 1m. Input sensitivity, Low level: 300mV. Input sensitivity, High level: 1.0V
Rockville RW68CA 400W 6X8 Slim
Finally, we have the RW68CA 400W Slim. This was also built to go under your seat and is made of cast aluminum, its peak power handling is the same as our previous choice at 400 Watts, and with an RMS handling of 100 Watts.
It is the most compact of Rockville’s subwoofers and has high input levels with automatic turn-on technology.
- Rockville RW68CA 6x8" 400w Slim Under-Seat Powered Car Subwoofer.
- Enclosure is made out of cast aluminum which stays cool at all times. Peak Power Handling: 400 Watts. RMS Power Handling: 100 Watts.
- Our most compact powered subwoofer. High Level Inputs with Auto Turn-On Technology.
- Low Pass Filter: 50Hz - 180Hz. Bass Boost: 0 - 12dB @ 45Hz. Built in Subsonic Filter @ 20Hz. Adjustable Input Sensitivity. Includes remote bass knob. Soft Delayed Remote Turn-On. Thermal Protection Circuit, Short Protection Circuit, Overload Protection.
- Heavy Duty Mounting Feet. PWM MOSFET Power Supply. Low Level RCA Input. Green Power/Red Protect LED. Phase Switch: 0° or 180°. THD: < 0.4%. Fuse Rating: 20A. Impedance: 4 Ohm
Customers seem to be pretty split when it comes to Rockville.
That’s not to say that they are not good, but they have some bad points too, and when you look at the reviews of the brand rather than an individual subwoofer, there is some critique.
Overall the reviews for their product are not bad, most people say that their subwoofers hit hard. Most will also state that the build of the subs is good, and the wiring and setup is all great.
Of course, some are better than others, and you want to know your subwoofers before you buy.
Now, we want to look into the brand as a whole. So, this means Rockville audio. On sitejabber.com the site has 70 reviews and an overall rating of 2.5 stars.
This is not saying that their subwoofers are bad, in fact, their subwoofers are great.
Their subwoofers, especially the ones mentioned above in our top 4 are highly regarded as being really great for audio enthusiasts.
For the most part on Amazon.com, their subwoofers have at least 4-star ratings and gleaming reviews with the odd bad thing here or there, as everything does.
But, when you get to the brand things get a little worse, and so, only the bad.
Now, as we said, we can’t really say anything about the subwoofers because when you go on somewhere like Amazon.com or other sites the individual subwoofers seem to get great reviews, but the company… not so much.
There is a full-ranting review online about how the brand was unable to take constructive criticism from a customer, and they were not the only ones.
The brand has had only 20.7% of their reviews be positive in the last 12 months, and a lot of the negativity lasts on the returns with only 1.5 stars and with service being the most complained about the area.
It’s not all bad though, of their 70 reviews nearly 20% have been positive. A lot of the complaints are based on service.
“I purchased a Rockville home surround sound and within 2 months the remote broke.
I contacted customer service, and they said they would send an email. I never received an email, contacted them again, and still haven’t heard back.”
For this reason, we would advise buying through a site like Amazon, where Amazon will help with customer service.
Our Favorite: The Rockville W65K9D2 6.5”
Our favorite subwoofer by Rockville has a high rating with 4.5 stars out of 5. So it’s highly rated. You can get it in 6.5”, 8” or 10” depending on how much space you have for it.
It has reviews for being more powerful than you might think, in spite of its size, offering epic bass, and with it sounding incredible.
You might get a bit of a hump if you power it with an amp, but if you tune it up you should be fine.
It’s a little subwoofer, and it costs less than $200, so for the price, many are commending it, you do not always expect something incredible for that amount of money, but it does the job it is meant to do and does it well.
- Durability due to the black stitching cone reinforcement.
- Fitted with a new PP dust cap.
- Comes with a vented hole on the T-yoke to provide better heat dissipation.
- It has a thick foam surround that gives an even better quality of sound.
- Fitted with chrome-plated binding post terminals.
- Made with a cast aluminum basket with a black sanded finish that makes it light and efficient.
- Reasonable price in comparison to value.
- Strong Bass.
- Increases audio volume substantially.
- Nails the mids for a warm touch.
- Made in China/ Imported item.
- Some complaints about the surrounding splitting.
- The frequency range is a bit narrow for a subwoofer.
- There have been some technical faults reported with this subwoofer.
So, what can you expect from this subwoofer overall?
It has a power handling of 1000 Watts, and with 250 Watts RMS power, it is able to provide you with a maximum volume for both lows and with mids.
Materials & Components
The body is polypropylene and non-press paper with a thick foam that covers the mid-cap. Its voice coil is aluminum and copper. It has a 112 oz magnet and is then just a subwoofer.
It can respond to a frequency of 27 Hz to .5 kHz, so it gives any music on your system a deep bass as you want!
Rockville is not all that bad really, some of their subwoofers can be awesome, and we really like the W65K9D4 model. It is ideal for audio enthusiasts to have in their vehicles.
However, we cannot ignore what customers are saying about Rockville.
Their customer service is not the best from previous customer statements, so, if you love the W65K9D4 or any of the other subwoofers we have mentioned, go through Amazon or another seller, so you have their assistance with any purchase issues.